Monday, May 16, 2011
The Hunt
Easter is a special time of the year, especially for the kids. We grew up across the street from the park in a small town (village) that had an Easter egg hunt every year. Each year I would get up early, lay on grandma's bad an watch as the fireman would hide all the candy and prizes. Once at about age 7, I was determined that year I was going to participate. Using a paper plate as my base, I made an Easter hat with paper flowers, ribbon and tiny chenille yellow chicks. It looked really cool to me. Then I put on my light blue pedal pushers, white 3/4 length sleeves, my favorite red and white striped sweater, with white ankle socks and my oxfords. Since I was up way earlier than everyone else, I ate my cereal, watched as the candy was hidden so I knew where to look, and waited!! Mom got up first, and being so excited I told her all about my plans, that I would ask Diane to take me over and help me hunt. The problem was, I was too shy and scared to go alone. Finally the time was getting close for the games to begin, and there was at least 30 kids gathered. We just had to get over there so we could get to the front of the hunt!!! Diane never liked to be woke up in the morning, even when dad called her for school, she always got up grumpy!! How can you wake up grumpy, if nothing has gone wrong or bad so early?? Anyway, I did not have a choice if I was going on the big Easter egg hunt, my first year!! So i woke her up trying to be cheerful, so she might catch the vibes. She was grumpier, if that was possible. She told me I was a big baby and that she was not going to take me anywhere. Arguing was useless when she was in her mood, the question was, did she have any other mood besides mean and grumpy? So it was no use begging, I was not hunting for candy on that day. Did I tell you about the cute Easter basket I had made to put all my treasures from the hunt into? Well no need to explain. So I still had a good seat to watch the other kids, Sitting down on the cement porch in back, with my basket next to me, in my favorite clothes and Easter hat I happily took the whole experience all in. It was fun just to look on! Finally when every last person left the park, I took my basket to see if they had missed any candy or eggs. Not a one escaped capture!! So I skipped back home swinging my basket, singing Easter Parade or at least the chorus over and over. Mom had set our real baskets filled with candy on the front porch- you know where peter rabbit put them. So I had candy after all, lots of marshmallow pink and yellow chicks that I loved. Guess you could say I learned early to try and find the positive in all situations. What will be, will be!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment