Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lousy

In the third grade, the teacher made us sit alphabetically and that put me in the last seat in the last row.  This was the year I needed glasses I could not read the chalkboard from that far away.  This year was the most traumatic year of all the years going to school.  It would take up too much room too tell all of it in on blog, so this is just one incident from that time.  Where I was seated, the girl in front of me literally made me buggy with her constant itching of her head.  At home mom noticed I was itching my head so she called me over to check my head.  Her suspicions were correct, head lice!!  What in the world were head lice?  When dad got home he was informed with my dilemma, and they went into action.  Not knowing what to expect or never having heard of these things I was a little anxious.  Dad first laid newspaper down on the kitchen table, while mom retrieved what looked like a dog's flea comb.  Mom instructed me to bend over the newspaper on the table while she took that comb and tried to run it thru my hair.  My hair was longer and it was not an easy task.  As she was combing I heard something hit the paper, at which time my dad used his nails to kill the lice.  If he did not kill the critters, they would jump back up into my hair.  I scared my folks when I let out a loud scream, just to think these things were on me crawling!!!  Mom smacked the side of my head laughing at how she jumped when I screamed, I guess even dad jumped, they did not expect me to scream at all.  This procedure went on for more than an hour and a half.  Then they applied what was called Cuprex to my hair.  It was horrid, it smelled like kerosene, and burned my head from all the digging mom had done.  Long story short, we went thru this tedious procedure every night for a week, and to no avail.  The critters were very resilient!! So they had to take me to the doctor and he told them they were doing everything right.  It was a huge outbreak at school and each day I would get more from school.  The only thing he could suggest was to put on the Cuprex, wrap my head in a bandanna for an hour or more to kill the lice and the larva.   MAN< I thought my head was going to ignite it got so hot, and burning sensation like I never felt before or want to again!!  All I could do was sit there and tears ran down my face I was so miserable and sick to my stomach that I had bugs on me.  Funny thing I should mention, my sister Diane and I slept together this whole time and not one of those lousy lice jumped on her or her hair!  She apparently was not a good host unlike myself, who was all too hospitable.  Finally, this last trick worked and they all died, drown or suffocated from that awful solution.  It almost made me feel sorry for the little rascals, I said almost sorry!!!!  So relieved to declare Orkin is not going to be a career choice when I grow up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment