Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sparky

Sorry to jump ahead 20 years or so, but as I remember events I must blog.  This one day the primary organization of my church, which age ranges from 18 months to 12 years of age, was having an activity day.  Activity day was scheduled for 3 to 4 times in a year in which the children, teachers, parents, and primary leaders meet at church for fun games centered around a gospel theme.  This particular day, I was to bake cupcakes for the snack portion of the activity.  Through the course of the morning for what ever reason, I was running way behind schedule, way behind!  So a brilliant thought flashed in my mind to take all the ingredients and my mixer, pans and so forth to the church.  That way I could make and bake them right there and the cupcakes would be nice and warm and fresh for everyone.  So packing all necessary supplies, off I went to church thinking,' doing it like this is killing 2 birds with one stone' as they say.  Upon arrival I immediately proceeded to dump in the dry cake mix and margarine and started to beat these together.  Shirley, the primary president, poked her head into the kitchen to inform me everything was moving faster than we had originally anticipated.  My activity with the kids would need to start in approximately 5 to 8 minutes!  Wow, that really sent me into confusion mode, because the treat portion of the activity was after my part!!  So, as I turned back around to finish the cupcakes, my cord that plugged into the mixer from the wall socket, fell into the batter!! What else could go wrong?  My first thought was to grab a fork to clean out the holes on the cord, but they were too far away!  So I thought to myself just suck it out of the holes, brilliant idea or not?  So I stuck that end of the cord into my mouth and proceeded to suck out the batter.  To my surprise, the other end of the cord was still plugged into the live wall socket!!!!  Immediately sparks started to burst from my mouth and my lips began to quiver so fast!  I'm sure my eyes bugged out as far as they could without falling out of my head!  Also, my knees suddenly began to fell like rubber, and began to buckle!!   Holy cow! What was I thinking?  Obviously, I was not thinking at all!!  The Lord blessed me to be mindful enough to pull it out of my mouth with a quick jerk!! Standing there starring at the cord in disbelief of my stupidity, Shirley again sticks her head into the kitchen to tell me the kids were ready for my activity.  She stood there for a second and asked if I was alright?  Dumb-founded I told her I would fill her in later since I lived to talk about it.  She now was confused, too.  Well, need less to say I never finished the cupcakes, someone had to make a trip to the store to get cookies.  As I entered the gym in the church, Shirley was explaining to the children that I was going to teach them a dance called the hokey poky.  As the music started playing, my mind was a complete blank.  I could not remember one line or word from the song and bewildered I turned to the adults and asked if anyone knew the words or movements.  Several people came right into the circle and helped teach this dance.  After everyone went home Shirley asked me what was wrong.  So I told her this story and she got a look of amazement then grabbed my arm and started to laugh, at which time it dawned on me that it was so stupid it was rather funny, and we sat there laughing so hard.  At work I happened to relate this same story to 4 guys I had to work with and thus was nicknamed 'Sparky'.  Of course they were hysterically rolling on the floor and could not resist passing it on to others.  The next day a mechanic came up to my machine, through down an industrial extension cord and asked" So I hear you like a little juice in the morning".  Oh, my goodness, that was such a good line that I almost wet my pants laughing.  The guys again were rolling on the floor laughing so hard they complained that their stomachs hurt!!  There is not room on the Internet to list all the comments, names or jokes that people shared in reference to this incident.  Guess it is time to pull the plug on this memory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment