Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Tutor
As you know my sister, Diane, is 6 years older. When see was a senior, I was in seventh grade. School was not easy for her, mom and dad both graduated from the 8th grade, and could not help with most subjects. Diane would get so frustrated and was never able to express anger in a non violent way. So this lead to a big blow up between her and our parents, everyone was upset and unhappy!! It always hurt me when they would get so impatient with Di and think the only answer was to spank, hit, or use the strap to settle her down!! Mom came up with the brilliant idea that I should help Di with all her homework. Completely opposite of Di, I loved to learn and read. Often I would bring home my school books to read and work ahead just for fun. Now I had to tutor my older sister, so the anger was not concentrated on our parents anymore, guess who? Many and I do mean many nights, she would just get up from the table and leave refusing to come back to finish the work. The solution was for me to finish it or get the strap. Well, this did eliminate her temper tantrums! It was easier, more peaceful and less painful to do the work rather than argue. Once I remember Di was supposed to read a book about Abraham Lincoln and write a book report. She absolutely refused to read any part of the book, it was boring to her. So I took the book, read it, wrote a report, which Diane did hand to the teacher. When she received the paper back, the grade was an F over an A. A note written next to this grade that said, it was a very good report but was not Diane's work. Diane was really mad and she took it out on me of course!! Wow, I got an A for a senior book report! That joy lasted longer then the anger she sent my way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment