Thursday, March 17, 2011
Terror at the fair
My parents were big on going to the various fairs in the area. My sister and I were given one choice of a treat. Diane always wanted a candy apple and I always wanted cotton candy. Sounds great, except, all she ate of her candy apple was the candy. The apple was yukey and she would not eat it! On the other hand I would slowly take a small piece of cotton candy and let it melt on my tongue, turn into delicous cherry flavored sugar. YUM! Well, hold on. Diane would try to take some of my fluffy treat because hers was gone so fast. When I would complain to my folks, they would say to give her some. Why? She didn't share with me? I was told not to be so selfish. If I didn't share they would take my cotton candy away, if it would cause a fight, take away from the good, wise child. Fair? NO! So I would tell her to take just a little. Diane's evil brown eyes would light up and she grabed a big hunk, laughing. Ha, ha, haha! Man, this used to burn the calories right out of me. We also were allowed to pick 2 rides to go on. We? Diane being 6 years older did not want to go on the rides I liked, nice, easy, safe rides. The rule, if we fought over what to ride we rode nothing. So I was always pressured by Diane and her evil brown eyes, to ride her choices. I hated this situation. I was the one who suffered at home if she didn't get her way! So, with tears in my eyes and a tiff lower lip, I rode the Ferris wheel. Is it a wonder I now have a deathly fear of heights? Once we got on, a bar was locked in front of us. This ride is not child friendly, neither was my sister. There is nothing else to hold you in the seat. Do you know what a big gap there is under that bar? Did you know my feet didn't come close to reaching the foot platform? Did you know that my sister loved to terrorize me? She would deliberately rock that Ferris wheel seat and it seemed like it could tip. I would scream stop rocking, which only fueled her desire to scare me to death. When, and if you ever rode a Ferris wheel, you know at some point, your seat gets it's turn at the top to stop when at the bottom they are loading and unloading other carts. This was the highlight of the whole trip, for Diane! The height, so to speak, of the taunting. It never has been made clear to me why Diane hated me so much when I was younger. Now, she is so loving towards me, and I am not sure when we turned that corner either. Oh ya, the other ride we took was call the hurricane, need I say more? Her other choice, if one of these were not available, was the tilt-a-whirl. The Lord must have had work for me to do, because He blessed me to survive my childhood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment