Friday, April 8, 2011

Dairy Air!

While I am thinking about the previous page on eggs,it reminds me of another trip we made to the opposite end of town.  About a mile outside of town, there was a dairy farm called Palmrueters.  They had literally tons of milking cows and sold if to anyone that came to pick it up.  They had some machinery that I guess processed it somehow.  Mom and I would go there and she would send me in with the glass gallon jars to get milk.  Now being right from the cow, it is not as pure white as it is in the stores.  It is not as cold as the store milk.  It was a grayish creamy color with a thick layer of lighter creamy colored stuff at the top.  It was the cream from the milk, mom took that off for cooking or use in coffee. The milk itself was not thick at all, it was like drinking colored water, and the taste was different from store bought milk.  Of course, I don't believe that it had been pasteurized yet, but I could be wrong!  My sister and I hated drinking the milk like that so she would get either powdered milk or skim milk to mix it with.  Well, it was better, not by much but tolerable to eat on cereal and stuff like that.  This is why I love to drink water so much!!  At all my meals I had either water or kool aid and sometimes a small glass of milk, but a real small glass!!  At Palmruters there wasn't any cute people or cattle to see.  When you drove by you saw them in the fields, but not in the barn section you bought the milk from.  It was extremely sterile on the inside all the silver vats shined so bright, because the morning sunlight came through the upper windows to make it look little cheery.  It gave mom and me quiet time to talk and be together, that was the best part!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment