Monday, April 11, 2011
Suprise!
One day Di and I were on the front porch playing with dirt and water, making mud pies. We had aluminum dishes from pot pies to mix and make the pies. We were playing so good together and having fun getting dirty. When we had a pie or two we took them into mom and grandma and they pretended to eat it all up. They told us it was so delicious we just had to make more, so we hopped back outside to whip up another batch. This particular day was cloudy and dreary but no sign of a storm, or so we thought! Across the street from us was the village park and just behind that was the grain elevator and railroad tracks. We were involved in making some of our best pies, when out of nowhere a bolt of lightening hit so close and it was so bright it gave Di and I a tingle up our spines and we high tailed it for the front door of the house!!! Once inside we ran to the kitchen where mom and grandma had been doing dishes. We stopped dead in our tracks at the doorway to the kitchen. Mom was down on her knees with soap suds on her hands, and her arms and hands were still up by the sink. Grandma had been sitting in a kitchen chair drying the dishes before, and now she was slumped over the towel on the floor as well as the dish she was drying. We ran over to see what happened and if we could help. Mom told us the lightening had ricochet off the elevator and went straight through the back door through the kitchen, and out the bathroom window out of the house. They both had gotten a bit more of the tingling feeling than Di and I did on the porch. Thank the good Lord they were alright, shaken up but alright!! Then we heard the deepest rumbling of thunder, it vibrated everything in the house including us. Next we heard the rain, an absolute sheer down pour. Mom and grandma stopped doing dishes and we all set huddled together in the living room, until dad got home from work. The storm was wicked, awful lightening and deep thunder rolling across the sky. To this day neither Di or I has ever made another mud pie. Diane is terribly afraid of storms, especially thunder and lightening!! So when I play golf, if the sky looks weird, I do not take any chances, I head back to the clubhouse. Well, let's cross off being an electrician as a career choice as well as meteorologist. Maybe I should cross off baker also, do you think??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment