Sunday, April 10, 2011

Finger Beware

After the laundry mom had 1 or 2 baskets of ironing.  Because I liked to help and learn new things, I asked mom if I could do some ironing for her.  She thought I was old enough to do some things like dad's handkerchiefs, pillow cases, and dollies.  This was going to be fun for an eight year old little girl.  So she showed me all that was necessary for me to begin.  Little did I know just how heavy that iron was to work with because it was filled with water for steam.  So here I go with my first ever handkerchief for dad.  You start out by putting it on the ironing board, which mom lowered to my height, and straighten it out with your hands to get it ready to press.  Mom always had a tall coke bottle full of water that had a silver cork like top with holes to wet the dry pieces then it is easier to get out the wrinkles.  Mom thought this was safer for me than using the steam form the iron.  So, now it is straightened, wet and ready, here comes the iron.  I am so excited to help!!  As you iron you are supposed to pull a little on the other end to help stretch the item some to help get out the wrinkles.  Well, all was going swell until I forgot to move my finger from the corner and ironed right over it.  OUCH!!  Man that iron is hot, hot, hot!  After my blood curdling scream, mom came running, to find me with my finger in my mouth.  When I showed her my finger, she told me that next time I will remember to move them out of the way.  It would have been nice to learn that before I started!  She said anyone with a brain would know to move their finger.  Then I did not want to iron anymore, but mom told me if I start something I need to finish it, so get right back in there and finish.  Because it was finish or get hit with the strap, I finished  with a sniffle and a few tears, and lots of butter on my finger.  The butter did not seem the help my finger feel any better, but it felt better under cold water.  Every once in awhile my finger would get touched by the iron, but not like that first time, and no matter how many times I ironed it the wrinkles in that finger never came out.  Guess I am not a very good ironer.  Thank goodness in today's world the clothes are perma press or have that wrinkly look.  Check another career choice off the list, no laundry or dry cleaning work!

No comments:

Post a Comment