Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grand Theft

In our small town there was a grocery store called Ferzog's.  Mr. and Mrs. Ferzog, an older German couple, owned and operated it.  There were old creaky wood floors, dim lighting, and a very tall ceiling.  In the front of the store was a single door with a square window on the inside.  In the summer months this door was usually propped open with a brick and the screen door let in fresh air, and was squeaky when it opened.  Also one big window took up the rest of the front part of the store which lite up the front half on the inside.  Where they had the cash register was long glass cases. Glass on top, on the front and on the back were glass sliding doors, all in wood frames.  At the back of the store they had refrigerated cases to keep the meat, eggs, milk, etc.. cool and fresh.  they were all white with higher windows and also had lights inside to see the items and prices.  In the very back was a big walk-in freezer, Mr Ferzog cut up sides of beef and pork.  He made fresh ground beef and pork sausage.  It smelled good, all that fresh meat and it was extremely clean.  In the back room was a kitchen table, chairs, and looked like an average house kitchen.  The Ferzog's lived upstairs above the store and if you really needed something but they were closed, we could walk up the outside steps to there home.  They happily would let you in to purchase the item.  Other groceries lined each wall and they had everything you could want or need.  Inside the glass cases in front displayed all the penny candy, candy bars or candy in bulk to buy per pound.  At this time I was maybe 2 years old, with bright red hair, and a big smile that was framed by bright pink chubby cheeks.  To Mr. Ferzog, I was adorable!  Each and every time mom and I came in, he picked me up swung me around and usually held me or played with me until mom was ready to leave.  Each time he put 5 or 6 pieces of candy in this tiny brown paper bag and gave it to me free.  Mom told him not to spoil me, but he did not listen.  One particular day we went to get groceries and Mr. Ferzog was busy at the meat counter with 2 or 3 customers and didn't have time to give me any candy.  So I went behind the counter slid open the glass door and took only 2 tootsie rolls.  They were small so I put them in my pocket, closed the door and went to find my mom.  Once we were back in the car with the groceries, I remember standing in the front seat next to mom as I reached in my pocket, opened the tootsie roll and started to chew on it.  Mom stopped the car before we left the parking lot and asked me where did I get the candy.  I said as best I could, Ferzog's!  She ask if one of the Ferzog's had handed it to me, and I shook my head, no.  So she asked me how I got it, and as I showed her the other tootsie roll in my pocket, and said that I had gotten them myself.  OH NO!  Her eyes became as big as apples, and I knew somehow I was in trouble!  She had me take the candy out of my mouth re wrap it and after a good spanking for stealing, she marched me right back inside to tell Mr. and Mrs. Ferzog what I had done!  I was crying so hard they probably could not understand what I was saying, but mom gave them the condensed version.  They were stolen!!  Mr. Ferzog came around squatted in front of me, wiped my eyes with his big finger, picked me up gave me a kiss and hug. He told my mom it was alright, because it was his fault, he forgot to give me my tiny bag of candy he was too busy.  She told him not to let me off so easy or I would do it again.  He took me around the counter set me on top of the glass as he got out a tiny bag and put in some candy for me to take home and make me feel better.  He even opened the wrapper back up to give the tootsie roll I had been chewing earlier.  When I got home I got another spanking but not the candy.  Mom said I did not deserve to be rewarded.  So nap time here I come again.  After a good cry sleep comes so quickly and then it's time to wake up and start all over.  Sure learned that lesson!  Crossed off my list of career choices was burglar and thief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment